The Norwegian Armed Forces have a long traditions in supporting the National Marksmen’s Association of Norway and their annual national rifle championship; Landsskytterstevnet. This large shooting competition gathers 5-6.000 individual marksmen for one week.
In order to spend less money and personnel on this task, the Armed Forces requested an electronic solution and considered/tested different manufacturers. The Armed Forces concluded by purchasing 75 complete electronic targets including management systems from Kongsberg Target Systems AS (KTS) in 2001.
Since 2001, the national rifle championship has been arranged with these electronic targets at different shooting ranges every year. The expected effects of this electronic system from KTS have been fully met;
- The Armed Forces have significantly reduced use of personnel
- It has been easier and more time-efficient to arrange the competition. Saving results, ranking and printout are done in a much more efficient way.
- The marking is more accurate than by using manpower.
- The software is intuitive and modern. New personnel are trained within a few hours.
- Approximately 15,000 spectators follow the active marksmen during the competition. The results are constantly updated on LED boards at the shooting range. The boards are readable on a distance of at least 100 meters in full sunshine.
- The delivered system has been upgraded with several new options to support broadcasting live by SMS, Internet, radio and television. Approximately half a million people follows this competition in real time on the main national TV channels.
In 2013, KTS won an additional contract of delivering a complete electronic solution for Falling Target, Rapid Fire and Terrain Shooting at the national rifle championship, including approximately 140 new targets. This solution was delivered in 2015. After this delivery, the entire rifle championship is conducted with equipment, software and technical support from KTS. The technical support includes installation, support during the operation and after use packing the equipment ready for shipping. Approximately 500,000 rounds are annually fired at 215 Kongsberg Targets during this competition.
Kongsberg Target Systems AS has distinguished themselves as a professional company capable to deliver complex projects with excellent after sales and deserves our best recommendations.
- – Per Arne Johnsen
Head of Contracts Department